Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Comment on a comment

Some time ago someone left a comment on my poem, "Take It Easy!":

In your own way, you have put things into perspective for me. It is a "game," and my RL cat does indeed want to be fed. There are other things to do rather than sit glued to my computer, panicking when SL crashes, because I might miss something "important." RL is what is important. My RL self can enjoy SL, and my SL friends, but I will not die without SL, and Linden Labs!

[rl] I want to clarify that life (RL and SL) is NOT at all a game for me (or Catherine). This is a wonderful environment where we can have meaningful interactions with people and make friends, and discover more about ourselves and learn through the eyes of our avatars. But there are lots of people who treat RL as a game, and we are pretty much at their mercy, which makes it seem futile to try to be serious about SL. The poem was meant to be a sarcastic attack on those people. ... I wish I could explain myself properly. My brain is lagging.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just so you know, there are those of us who "got it" - it's not a failing on your part to be able to understand, and somebody always interprets things wrong.

...bu it ok 'cause I love you... :)

Catherine Moody said...

Hi Mykyl, it's not that anyone interpreted it "wrong" in this case. The poem did leave room for multiple interpretations. I posted this because I want people to know where I was "coming from". For example, some might think that the poem is making fun of those who spend so much time on SL that they forget to "feed the cat and pay the bills". (Well, I only write about what I understand first-hand!) That was just a bit of lighthearted humor. My real target was those people who make RL into a game... there is a lot of bitterness behind those silly rhymes.

I am beginning to understand why I want to include my annotations and analysis in my poetry book. When I shared my "Club Extreme", some people thought the last paragraph was about SL griefers. That is certainly a valid interpretation. But if I want to change the world, like Mykyl and Alphonsus, I need to make sure that my original message gets across.

Hmm, I should examine Phorkyad's book to see whether or not I like his format.

Alphonsus said...

Perhaps annotations would not be a bad thing, but at the same time, it might interfere with the right of the reader to take what is meaningful *to them* from the poem.

Any written work must be filtered through the mind of the reader. What is meant by, "in perspective for me," depends on that reader's heart and place at that moment. A person could understand the writer's meaning of a poem, but still get a different meaning entirely personal to themselves. Even if the interpretation is different, or even opposite, of the writer's intention, it is still may convey a message that the reader, for whatever reason, needs to hear.

Catherine Moody said...

Well, the reader certainly has the right to choose whether to read the annotations or not! :)