Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Life in Maemi

By the way, I had missed out on the story of Tyrol and Pat and me. Here is a draft.

When I was a little girl Tyrol and Pat mentioned that they were thinking of adopting me, which made me so happy. Tyrol changed my life by helping me start out as a live musician. It gave me a means to live, as well as another reason to live. She paved the way to my first performance at the Acropolis, although she was disappointed that she wasn't able to attend it herself. Later on, when we met, she took me to a secret place and gave me an eloquent and moving speech, which was something like what Professor Higgins said to Eliza Doolittle after the embassy ball. It also turned out that Tyrol and Pat didn't want to adopt me after all. I was very sad, and I cried and threw tantrums, like Eliza. I went away for a while to look for someone else to be my mommy.

Before long, though, I realized that it didn't matter whether or not someone was officially my mommy. Tyrol did so many wonderful things in nurturing me and supporting me, just like a real mommy, and we loved each other very much---those were the things that really mattered! It also turned out that Tyrol decided to enlarge her Dominion---ha ha ha!---and set aside a 512-square-meter parcel in Maemi, where she said I could build my house and plant trees and do anything I liked. It was so sweet of her.

If you come to Maemi now, you will see Tyrol's home, a cozy house with an open living space on the upper floor. The red path leads down the hill to the Truth and Beauty Assembly in Taedong (it's now the somewhat-ostentatious-sounding "Classical Music Aficionados" garden). In the other direction is Maemi Gardens, an open-air performance venue with posh-looking lawn chairs, where you can often hear live music as well as not-so-live music. The edge of the grass, where it meets the stage area, is a great place for doing leg exercises! To the west of the stage is the frat house "Tappa Kega Day"---a fine creation by Becky Rawley, a sculptor, photographer, and artist. One day Tyrol had a wild drinking party in her house, which was very unusual of her, and then we made a collective decision to invade the frat house to see what was there. We got more than we expected when we wandered down to the basement! There is some naughty stuff behind the house now, too, but I digress.

On the way back from the Gardens you can explore Tyrol's "nature walk", where there is a beautiful little pond, and finally you end up at my little house. Someday I will make it look nicer, and put in something other than the low-prim freebie furniture that is there now. Tyrol is a master decorator and gardener; the whole area is filled with lush greenery and flowers (that may cause you to walk slowly while you are looking at them). I'm a very lucky girl to be living in this wonderful environment.

Now that I can take care of myself, Tyrol has been helping a lot of other people discover their musical abilities in our world---Saki, Clarissima, Lacey, Naftali. Every time I wander over to Maemi Gardens, she is helping someone new set up their stream. Tyrol plants more than trees and flowers; because of her, the arts in our world are blooming! Her latest project is live poetry reading. It was great to hear Secundo the other day. We want more!

Oh well, my real life alter ego wants to sleep. I will continue next time.

No comments: